Tuesday, October 17, 2006

It's Been a Good Week

Yes the Tigers win. After the Tigers win was the fun and exciting spirit of Detroit that rarely pops it head up from the ground. The new job is full of friendly people.

Today I found something I have been desperately looking for since the retirement of Nazi Bob in 1998. I remember it well as it was the last good haircut I’ve had.

Nazi Bob, for those of you who don’t know, was a barber in Ypsilanti. His shop was right off campus. The rates were good for college students. He also gave great haircuts, especially for a guy like me who has too much thick blond hair. At the end of the hair cut he would clean up the edges with a straight razor and hot foam. This last part is vital to a great hair cut and hard to find these days. Most “hair stylists” get out the buzzers and go to town leaving a mess of uneven lines for Kristi and Ben to point out over sushi. The only down side to getting your hair cut at Nazi Bob’s was to sit through his recruitment for the local clan chapter. Yes, he was awful when it was just the two of us and he really opened up. But those haircuts were some of the best.

I am happy to report that I have found another traditional barbershop minutes from my new office. Just enough Tiger talk, careful cutting with both buzzers and scissors, and a careful inspection of consistency, the new barber was very good. Then he stepped aside from view. When he returned the warm foam was applied and I knew that I was in the right place. It was a great haircut. And not a raciest.

Craig, my new Non-Nazi barber, is thankfully only a few years older than me. This means that I will always have someone to cut my hair if I am willing to drive there.

Yep, it’s been a good week so far.

1 comment: