Saturday, December 02, 2006

GME06 Update

An inch of ice covered the sixty-minute drive home Friday. I had left work early to see the road before nightfall and make it to the apartment office before it closed. Over the last two weeks my parcels had been held hostage to holiday hours inaccessible to my normal workday.

Three of the packages were expected, entries into the GME06 from Eliza Jane, Philly, and Hollywood Hogan. The fourth was a great surprise, Jenna the Jetta matching Spice Red guitar from VW. My goal is to learn to play three songs really well, and nothing else. Chicks dig guitars and I am trying to impress a chick.

After making nice with the new staff that run the office, and breaking away from them before it got too late, I made my way out the door fumbling with my load.

Through the first locked door, up the three flights of steps, through the pull door, and down the hall to my apartment door. I set everything down to find my keys when a friendly and timid “meow” called to me before I stepped on it.

At my door was an adorable gray and white kitten who seemed a little scared and lost. It meowed hello again as I slowly put my digits out for it to sniff. He/she found my character solid and began to wrap around my legs for attention.

Down the hall there were two people coming in from the cold night. I beckoned down the hall to see if they lost a cat. They were uninterested having called the office for its removal earlier that day.

“Well” I said to my new found friend “lets not leave you here for the authorities, you can bunk with me till we figure things out.” To which it looked to me and smiled another “meow.”

Door open, it made itself at home. Camera shy, I made a poster that said “Missing Someone? Call this number to reunite.”
I opened my boxes, looked at Jenna’s guitar, and offered my guest a drink and box of paper. My next call was to sister, the feline expert. She had sound advice. After two hours and another phone call, I made more signs, hung them and headed to the store for litter and food (incase it was a sleep over.) As I put up my last picture, and walked out the door, I passed that cute college girl who lived down the hall. Not 30 seconds went by and the phone rang. It was the cute college girl almost in tears “I think you have my cat.”

“Great” I said, “where do you live? I’ll drop it off. What’s its name?”

When I got back upstairs, she was by my door. I explained the place was a mess and I would drop off Huey as soon as I could. He was under my bed again. The door slam frightened him a bit. But we talked things through. He was happy that I finally knew his name. I explained that Susanna, the before mentioned cute college girl, was really sad he had gotten out and it was time to go home. But if he were ever to get lost again, he always had a place to crash.

Everyone was happy in the end.

Here are the three new additions to the Great Mix Experiment of 2006. Each have a great mix of music, some I am familiar with and others are new adventures in sound.

Hollywood Vacation - from Hollywood Hogan
1) 40 Days - Chris Robinson
2) Rebel Rebel - David Bowie
3) Crooked Teeth - Death Cab For Cutie
4) I Want You So Hard (Boy's Bad News) - Eagles Of Death Metal
5) Strange Goodbye - Frank Black
6) Wisemen - James Blunt
7) So Long Jimmy - James Blunt
8) Holiday - JET
9) Skin And Bones - JET
10) Yes - Morphine
11) Broken Boy Soldier - The Raconteurs
12) Store Bought Bones - The Raconteurs
13) Snow ((Hey Oh)) - Red Hot Chili Peppers
14) She's Only 18 - Red Hot Chili Peppers
15) A Thousand Trees - Stereophonics
16) Traffic - Stereophonics
17) Holiday - The Subways
18) Better Off As We Are - Blue Rodeo
19) (Everytime I Hear) That Mellow Saxaphone - The Brian Setzer Orchestra
20) I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor - Arctic Monkeys
21) Making A Killing - Phantom Planet
22) Erotic City - Prince
23) Don't Shit Where You Eat - Ween
24) Surrender - Velvet Revolver

Hello Jenna! - from Philly
1) It Covers the Hillside - Midlake
2) La Kitounelle - Sebastian Teller
3) Starless Summer Sky - Marshall Crenshaw
4) A New England - Kirsty MacColl
5) Lilly-A-Passion - Grant Lee Phillips
6) The Valleys - Electrelane
7) Atlantic - Keane
8) Town & Country R&B - Jools Holland
9) Will it go Round in Circles - Jools Holland
10) Untouchable - Glenn Tubrook
11) No Show Jones - Chris Difford
12) Slow Emotion Replay - The The
13) If I Could Write a Book - Sam Phillips
14) In the Thick of It - Brenda Russell
15) Hello its Me - Todd Rundgren
16) Part of the Plan - Dan Fogelberg
17) Carefree Highway - Gordon Lightfoot
18) Nothing for Nothing - Billy Preston
19) The Loco Motion - Grand Funk Railroad
20) Sunday Will Never Be the Same - Spanky and Our Gang

Eliza Jane GME06 - from Eliza Jane
1) Here Without You - Three Doors Down
2) In the Rough - Anna Nalick
3) Elsewhere - Sarah McLachlan
4) So Far Away (Live) - Carole King
5) Back of the Bottom Drawer - Chely Wright
6) You Look Good in My Shirt - Keith Urban
7) House Full of Reasons - Jude Cole
8) Easy Silence - Dixie Chicks
9) When You Say Nothing at All - Allison Kraus and Union Station
10) Ain't No Sunshine - Bill Withers
11) Black Horse and the Chreey Tree - KT Tunstall
12) Bring it on Home - Little Big Town
13) You're Gone - Diamond Rio
14) Good Togeather (Bucket & Chicken) - SheDaisy
15) She's Every Woman - Garth Brooks
16) You're Like Comming Home - Lonestar
17) Mockingbird - Toby Keith
18) Temptation - Shelby Lynne
19) Sing Me Home - Tim McGraw
20) Not Ready to Make Nice - Dixie Chicks

***************************************

If you would like to join us this year, there are only four rules to follow:

Step 1 - Sign up by emailing Everywhere Man and committing to make 1 CD with at least 14 tracks. Use the email address under my profile to send me your mailing address. 



Step 2 - You receive GME06 Green CD from Everywhere Man, a CD compilation of my best tunes from 2006 with liner notes. 



Step 3 - Burn a CD for me, Everywhere Man.
- If you participated previously, do not include songs submitted from your previous years mix
- Please have at least 14 tracks on your mix
- Your CD MIX must include the music you listened to during 2006, it does not have to have been recorded in 2006, just what you listened to in 2006
- Please include liner notes on why you added the song, what it means to you, or your favorite part of the song


Step 4 - In January you will receive a second CD that includes music from all the other entries called “The Best of the Great Mix Experiment 2006.”

No comments:

Post a Comment